Welcome to the website of the Hardy Plant Society, Southern Counties Group, one of the local groups of the national Hardy Plant Society. We welcome new members of all ages and gardening experience, from beginners to experts: all you need is to love plants and gardens. Our particular interest is hardy herbaceous perennials, though our talks cover many aspects of plants and gardens.
The main feature of our meetings during the winter months is a talk by a well-known or local expert. Come along as a visitor and you’ll be made very welcome: if you love plants as much as we do, we’re sure you’ll want to join the Group.
During the summer months our members enjoy a programme of garden visits. Find out more on the About Us page.
Old Barn Hall in Bookham where we meet
What's New / Coming Up
February/ March 2019
The 2019 programmes have now been uploaded. The outline programme may be found under 'About Us' at Programme. Members can view full details of all Southern Counties Group events on the members' Full Programme page. The January 2019 newsletter is now available in the Newsletter section of the Members Area. We have also updated the Calendar of non HPS events for 2019.
A reminder for members
- please renew your membership as soon as possible if you haven't already done so. You need to do the national renewal first, then the SCG one - see renewing your membership.
- Saturday 16th February (10.00 for 10.45 am) - SCG talk 'Epimediums' by Sally Gregson. These are evergreen perennial ground cover plants with delicate yellow, pink or white flowers. This illustrated talk is based on Sally’s book ‘The Plant Lover’s Guide to Epimediums’ and covers the more widely grown species and forms. It also introduces gardeners to the beautiful new species from China, and the hybrids that have been developed over the past 10 years, and are still being bred.
- Saturday 16th March (10.00 for 10.30 am) - AGM followed by SCG talk ‘Plant Hunting in Manipur’ by Paul Barney. This is based on his trip to north east India near the border with Burma.
Other local events
- Thursday 14th February (7.15 for 7.45 pm) - Plant Heritage Surrey AGM and talk by Gill Groombridge and Jackie Currie on the trials, tribulations and triumphs of the PH stand at the Chelsea Flower Show. Held at St. Andrew's Church Hall, Churchgate House, Downside Bridge Road, Cobham, KT11 3EJ. £4.
- Sunday 10th March (2.30 - 5 pm) - Surrey Horticultural Federation Talk - Revive your Garden by Nick Bailey. Normandy Village Hall, Manor Fruit Farm, Glaziers Lane, Normandy, Guildford GU3 2DT.
- Monday 11th March (7.15 for 7.45 pm) - Plant Heritage Surrey talk on 'Edible Ornamentals' by Stephen Barstow Held at St. Andrew's Church Hall, Churchgate House, Downside Bridge Road, Cobham, KT11 3EJ. £4.