Welcome to the website of the Hardy Plant Society, Southern Counties Group, one of the local groups of the national Hardy Plant Society. We welcome new members of all ages and gardening experience, from beginners to experts: all you need is to love plants and gardens. Our particular interest is hardy herbaceous perennials, though our talks cover many aspects of plants and gardens.
The main feature of our meetings during the winter months is a talk by a well-known or local expert. Come along as a visitor and you’ll be made very welcome: if you love plants as much as we do, we’re sure you’ll want to join the Group.
During the summer months our members enjoy a programme of garden visits. Find out more on the About Us page.
Old Barn Hall in Bookham where we meet
What's New / Coming Up
The January 2019 newsletter is now available in the Newsletter section of the Members Area. We have also updated the Calendar of non HPS events for 2019.
- Saturday 16th March (10.00 for 10.30 am) - AGM followed by SCG talk ‘Plant Hunting in Manipur’ by Paul Barney. This is based on his trip to north east India near the border with Burma.
- March 20th pm and 25th am - Half day seed sowing workshops at member's house.
- Saturday 13th April (2.00 for 2.30 pm - note afternoon) - SCG talk - ‘On The Wild Side - An Experiment in New Naturalism’ by Keith Wiley. This is a style of gardening he has developed based on modifying landscapes from around the globe.
Other local events
- Sunday 10th March (2.30 - 5 pm) - Surrey Horticultural Federation Talk - Revive your Garden by Nick Bailey. Normandy Village Hall, Manor Fruit Farm, Glaziers Lane, Normandy, Guildford GU3 2DT.
- Monday 11th March (7.15 for 7.45 pm) - Plant Heritage Surrey talk on 'Edible Ornamentals' by Stephen Barstow. Held at St. Andrew's Church Hall, Churchgate House, Downside Bridge Road, Cobham, KT11 3EJ. £4.
- Thursday 11th April (7.15 for 7.45 pm) - Plant Heritage Surrey talk on Plant Nutrition: getting the best out of your plants by Andrew Gaunt. Held at St. Andrew's Church Hall, Churchgate House, Downside Bridge Road, Cobham, KT11 3EJ. £4.
- Sunday 21st April - Member's NGS garden will be open under the NGS from 2 - 4pm. Children welcome. Adults £5. Teas and refreshments available. Proceeds to Children's Trust.